Dates, Location and Costs
The training comprises 24 days in 6 four-day blocks, Friday to Monday, May 2021 - April 2022. The dates for the 6 Friday - Monday units in the 2021-2022 Deep Bodywork Foundation course are provisionally:
U1 - May 28-32 2021 (bank holiday WE)
U2 - July 23-26 2021
U3 - Oct 8-11 2021
U4 - Dec 10-13 2021
U5 - Feb 11-14 2022
U6 - Apr 15-18 2022
All workshops will take place at The Open Centre in London.
Tuition fees for the Deep Bodywork Foundation Training are £1560.
A deposit of £300 is required to secure a place, the rest is payable
in instalments. There are some bursaries available.
The 1-year Foundation Training in Deep Bodywork provides an introduction to modern Reichian bodywork combining intensive personal experience with theoretical and practical training. This course is therefore suitable for both practitioners and non-practitioners alike.
For practitioners interested in bodywork and wishing to develop professional expertise in this area, for therapists in body or related disciplines and for practitioners in the helping professions this course can be a powerful supplementary training in process-oriented bodywork to enhance their current practice. It is an intensive process of transformation for all participants in their personal life and in their role as practitioners.
Equally, this foundation training can be taken as an intensive 1-year course just for personal growth and development.
Aims of the course
The primary goal of the foundation training is to train effective skills in contacting the bodymind and in encouraging awareness and aliveness in the body in a safe and respectful manner. These skills are useful for personal work and for professional work with others.
The secondary goal is to help students go deeper in their own process of change, development and transformation. There will be opportunity in the group context for work with individual issues.
Philosophy of the course
The training philosophy of this course is based on an integrative and holistic approach to personal development and therapy. It acknowledges each person's freedom and right to develop their potential as a human being - to become more fully individuated and self-actualized. Moreover, individual development and growth are seen as creative processes involving bodily, emotional, intellectual, psycho-sexual, interpersonal and spiritual levels of being. Deep Bodywork assists this maturation process.
The methods in the training combine experiential, theoretical and practical work into an integrated web which supports the student's learning process. Experiential sessions, theoretical presentations and discussions are interwoven with practical demonstrations, work in the group and in small groups.
Independent work between training sessions will be done individually and in small groups, and will include reading and written assignments as well as practical assignments. A training workbook and an experiential diary will be kept by participants.
Throughout the training, opportunities will be given for participants to work with individual issues. It is also expected that participants will continue their self-development outside the training including a period of individual therapy with an experienced practitioner.
In this manner theory is grounded in experience and practice, and experience can be integrated into developing intellectual clarity and emotional maturity.
Facilitation of the courses
The Deep Bodywork 1-year Foundation Training will be facilitated by Silke Ziehl assisted by Debbie Cotton.
Curriculum of the Deep Bodywork 1-year Foundation Training -
Getting to Know Body Energetic Processes:
1) The Energetic Cycle - working with the body’s rhythms and energetic processes to increase aliveness and integration
• breath and pulsation
• recognizing charge; charging, discharging and harmonizing charge
• phases in the energetic cycle
• blocks in the cycle
• patterns of breathing, including hyperventilation
• techniques of working with breath.
2) Emotional and Energetic Processes – exploring the web of energy, movement and emotion
• getting to know oneself in relation to others
• focusing in the body; dialogue with the body
• recognizing and working with energy, sensation, emotion
• accepting and expressing roles; psychodramatic methods
• energetic processes in relationships
3) The Development of Character - re-experiencing the stages in child development and understanding character structure influences in current patterns of behaviour
• Introduction to character analysis: experiential and theoretical
• developmental structures and character structure: exploration of
the fragmented, oral, psychopathic, masochistic and rigid structure
• energetic processes in the body and character structures
• the role of character analysis in working with self and others.
4) Segments of the Energetic Body – tracing the formation and nature of a hardening, a loss of flexibility (armour) in the body tissues, structures and functioning.
• pulsation, counterpulsation, segmentation
• learning to work with segments (from eyes to pelvis)
• trauma and its consequences.
5) The Body as the Basis of Projection – clarifying projection, transference and countertransference in bodywork
• contact and projection
• communication and transference processes
• transference meets countertransference.
After successful completion of the Deep Bodywork Foundation Training, graduates will be awarded a Certificate in Deep Bodywork by the Entelia Institute.
Application Procedure for the Deep Bodywork Foundation
Please apply with a brief personal statement which includes information on the following questions plus anything else you want to share:
a) Your name, address, telephone/fax number, e-mail address, and
your date of birth.
b) Your current and past occupations.
c) The story of your body, your emotions, your mind, your spirit.
d) Your reasons for wishing to do the course.
e) Your experience in self-development work, therapy, bodywork,
both individual and group; please give details of when, for how
long and with whom you worked.
f) Brief medical history, including any psychiatric experiences.
g) What you can bring to the training course.
h) What you hope to gain from doing the course.
Please email your application, together with a passport-sized photo, or alternatively send it to:
Silke Ziehl, Entelia Institute at The Open Centre,
188 Old Street, London EC1V 9FR, Tel: 07764 200113, Fax: 020 7681 1992, e-mail:
Back to the top